Korean: How to say: I don't want to (verb)


Hello everyone!

In the previous post we learned how to say I want to (verb) in Korean.

In this post we will learn how to negate it.


I don't want to go!
How can we say it in Korean?

There are 2 ways:


  • The first one is:

Negating the adjective "want". In Korean want is an adjective unlike in English.
want in Korean is: 싶다 (ship da).
To negate it,
drop 다 (da) to get the stem.
add (ji) to the stem. It becomes 싶지(ship ji).
add 않아요 (anayo).

so the final product is: 싶지 않아요 (ship ji anayo) = I don't want to...

So, if you want to say I don't want to go, you follow the steps in the previous post, but this time you will negate want.

 가고 싶어요 (kago shipeoyo) = I want to go,
becomes:
가고 싶 않아요 (kago shipji anayo) = I don't want to go.

I want to eat is 먹고 싶어요. (meogo shipeoyo)
I don't want to eat is 먹고 싶 않아요.


  • The second way is: 
To negate the verb. 
For example, if you want to say I don't want to go, you negate the verb to go by adding 안  (an) before it.

So you get: 안 가고 싶어요 . (an kago shipeoyo) meaning, I don't want to go. 

I don't want to eat. becomes: 안 먹고 싶어요. 

The second way is much easier, right?!😃

Try making your own sentences and post them as a comment so that we can learn from each other.
Thanks for reading and I hope you find this helpful!
See you soon!♡

Comments

Popular Posts